Tall Ships Blog — New Beginnings

View from Leader's deck

Tall Ships Blog — New Beginnings

Leader has safely reached Bergen, following her Norwegian Cruise in Company voyage from Fredrikstad, as part of the 2014 Tall Ships Races.

Today’s blog entry picks up with the arrival in port as we say goodbye to some guests, and welcome some new faces ahead of the second race to Esbjerg, in Denmark.

Friday, July 25th, 2014

Today is our first day in Bergen. It’s the day of the crew parade, so we spent the morning preparing for that. We found some cardboard, which we recycled, and made some costumes for the parade. We had a pirate; a cow; a fairy; a Mexican; a Scotsman; and some Vikings.

We headed to the parade singing sea-shanties, which attracted some attention. We later found out we won the Best Crew Parade, in categories B,C, and D. We were all very happy about this as we had put a lot of effort in to our costumes.

In the evening we had a crew party to celebrate our win earlier in  the day, with some crews from the other vessels taking part. Overall it was a great finish to the second leg.

Lucy W.

Saturday, July 26th, 2014

Today we found out we’d won another award. We had entered a Sea Shanty competition and sung our hearts out, only to find out we won the whole thing. For our efforts we were delighted to find out we had won a ukulele and a guitar, which was pretty awesome!

Later in the day we joined forces with the crew of Pelican, and others, and went to see the closing ceremony than played Ninja by the fountains. After this we wandered back to Leader to watch the fireworks display which was very beautiful.

We invited people from Pelicam, Black Diamond, and others, to join us on board for a small party. At 2am we said bye to Leader’s relief mate Ben who had been with us for the past week.

All in all it had been a great day, a fantastic weekend, and Bergen is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever been to.

Jemima B.

Sunday, July 27th, 2014

Today we woke up at 7.30am and it was our first breakfast with the full crew for Race Two. We then started a full clean-up of the ship, after which we were allowed to spend some time ashore, for shopping, but we had to be back by 11.50am.

We got back and said our goodbyes to some people who were leaving us that day before we set sail for the next part of our voyage. We watched several other ships leave before us, while we sang sea shanties as they passed us. It was then our turn to leave, as it started to rain. We put our oillies on and headed off to our overnight anchorage.

Anna C.