Award Winning Start for Leader at the Tall Ships Races

Leader 2015 Tall Ships

Award Winning Start for Leader at the Tall Ships Races

The 2015 Tall Ships Races have got off to a flying start and we are already part of the way in to the second leg of the world-famous maritime event.

Leader has picked up two prestigious trophies: Oldest Vessel in the Fleet, and Best Crew Parade. As this goes to print she is sailing near Askrova, an island off the north west coast of Norway, stopping off at various ports and anchorages in the next few days before arriving in Kristiansand, at the weekend, ahead of the second race — and final leg — to Aalborg, in Denmark.

The deadline for arrival into Kristiansand is 12 noon, on Saturday (25). You can follow their progress live here:

Here is  a blog, direct from the crew, about how they have been getting on since Thursday, when the Cruise in Company adventure began:

Day One…

“Today all the crew arrived aboard Leader full of excitement and enthusiasm, fuelled by the amazing atmosphere in Alesund. We made some amazing costumes, winning the crew parade with sea shanties, and a fishing theme.

“The fun and excitement continued all day, with great music. Everyone was dancing and singing until early hours of the night during the crew party — it was a truly amazing day.”

Day Two…

“Today we started early. In addition to the normal breakfast routine we prepared for an Irish coffee morning, hosted on Leader. This was a good opportunity to showcase the boat to other interested parties, and was a great success.

“After lunch a few of the crew went up to a spot overlooking Alesund, which was very beautiful. When everyone had returned WE went through safety briefings, how to use ropes essentially, and how to use the life jackets, ready to depart tomorrow for the open sea.”

Day Three…

“We left Alesund this morning and joined all the other boats in the parade of sail. Afterwards, we travelled down the fjords surrounded by spectacular snow capped mountains. On our way we had a massive water fight with the crew of Black Diamond and we arrived in Ostra Fjord just before dinner.”

Day Four…

“We left port at 9am this morning and it rained all day, pretty much. In the morning there was a navigation briefing led by Ben. The weather was quite rough for most of the day, which made things challenging, but exciting. We made it to Maløy without incident and moored up very smoothly in a very tight space. We then sang shanties until bedtime.”